Wednesday, February 20, 2019

How I try to sing O Sole Mio 我怎麼試著唱出「我的太陽」Góa án-chóaⁿ chhì chhiùⁿ-chhut Góa ê Ji̍t-thâu

O Sole Mio is one of the most popular songs around the world. It is rarely sung in languages other than the original Italian, based on what I heard in youtube.com. In 2017, I ran across a video recording https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDESzUuZuC0 . passing around in facebook, sung by a gentleman, Patrizio Buanne, and a young girl, Amira Willighagen. The gentleman sings this song in a somehow different manner from what I heard most of the other times and triggered my thought about “singing uniquely with new interpretation”. 我的太陽是全世界最風行的歌曲之一。根據我在「你管」網頁中聽到的,這首歌很少被用義大利與以外的語言唱出來。在2017年,我偶然看到一段在「廢思簿」流傳的影音記錄,是由一位年輕紳士 Patrizio Buanne, 和一位少女 Amira Willighagen.一起唱了。覺得這位紳士的唱法跟我聽過的其他人的唱法不盡相同,因而觸發了「用新的詮釋及獨特的唱法」的想法。

After some examinations, I found that the song was mostly sung by high voice singers emphasizing the high notes and led me to think about hot sun, bright sunshine. I kept thinking that the song describes the sunny environment in Italy until I studied the lyrics. 幾番嘗試檢驗歌詞之後,我發現這首歌大多是由高音歌手來唱,凸顯高音的美,使我聯想到太陽的熱及明亮的陽光。在我開始研讀歌詞之前,我持續誤以為這首歌是在描繪陽光普照的義大利的景色。

What a beautiful thing is a sunny day! 陽光的日子何其美好啊!
The air is serene after a storm, 風雨之後的空氣很安詳
The air is so fresh that it already feels like a celebration.空氣新鮮像是在慶祝什麼樣
What a beautiful thing is a sunny day! 陽光的日子多麼美好啊!

But another sun that's brighter still, 可是有另一顆太陽更亮
It's my own sun that's upon your face! 那是我在你臉上看到的太陽!
The sun, my own sun, 就是這太陽,我的太陽
It's upon your face; it's upon your face! 就在你臉上,在你臉上

Being an occasional singer without sufficient capability in the high range I started to explore the other ways of singing to reflect the other sides of this song. 身為一位在高音區有缺陷愛唱歌的人,我開始尋找呈現這首歌的其他面向的另類唱法。

I found that the lyrics were not about the sun but a person. While all the singing I heard emphasizes the high notes and how to reach the high notes I found that the structure of the melody actually exposes low notes and the paths transitioning into the low notes. I found the warmth of the low voice and relaxing atmosphere of singing down the scale might be the special side for the low and limited-range voice singer. 我發現這首歌竟然不是在描繪太陽,而是在描繪人。瞭解我聽過的唱法大多在強調高音以及達到高音的方法。我看出這首歌的結構實際上在展現低音,以及走向低音的過程。我發現,那些地因的溫暖感及沿著音階往下走的路徑所催出的放鬆感或許就是這首歌的另一個面向。

The Taiwanese singing of this version pays attention to the short vowels. Here is what’s in my Taiwanese lyrics.  我所寫的台語歌詞特別注意短母音。這裡是用英文轉述的歌詞意涵。
When the sun is shining everything looks pleasing,
The wind appears to be more and more sincere
as a storm ends and the sun is appearing,
It lets me breathe what is cool and comforting.
Under the sun, everything is good-looking.

My sun looks better than all could be seen.
What I can see on your face is what I mean.
Not less than the goodwill of the sunlight,
From all directions, everything looks right,
While your face is in my sight.

This might be one for the kind of songs I have been looking for since 2003 when I started to frame the concept of "off-stage music" and a special branch of it referred to as "bedside music" or "sickroom singing". 這或許就是我從2003年掰出「台下音樂」跟「床邊音樂」、「病房歌唱」以來所在尋找的歌曲。



No comments:

Post a Comment